Urinary Stones or urinary calculi are hard masses of minerals which may accumulate/coagulate either in the kidneys or ureters or urinary bladder.
The size of stone may vary from small stone of 1-2 mm which flush out through urine unnoticed to large stones like Staghorn Calculi which completely obstructs the urinary tract leading to severe symptoms and complications.
According to the type of composition, urinary stones are of following types:-
Uric acid stones, calcium oxalate stones – These are hard and spiny, commonly found in kidney and ureter,
Calcium phosphate stones – These are soft and lamellated, commonly found in bladder,
The causes includes – Genetic factors, Low fluid intake, excessive intake of calcium supplements, excessive intake of food rich in calcium and other minerals without sufficient intake of water, intake of water rich in calcium and minerals, certain medications (for ex – indinavir), as a consequence of certain diseases for ex - hyperparathyroidism or gout.
If there is a family history of stones then there are high chances of suffering from stone problem.
In Ayurveda, it can be correlated to a disease mentioned as “Ashmari”. This Sanskrit word is derived from the word “Ashma” which means stone.
According to Acharyas, causes leading to stone formation in kidney or urinary tract are:-
The causative factors lead to aggravation of Pitta and Kapha Dosha which together creates a thick sludge in the channels which is then dried up by the Vata Dosha leading to stone formation called as Ashmari. The stone is sometimes broken up into fragments by Vata Dosha, which leads to passage of fragments of stone in the urine, which is called as mutra sharkara.
The main line of treatment includes Vata Kapha shamak chikitsa. Bhedana chikitsa leads to dissolving of calculi. Mutral medicines which help in flushing out of stones through diuretic action are also given to treat urinary stones.
1. Single herbs - Pashanbheda (Saxifraga lingulata), Varuna (cretaeva nurvula), Kulathha (Dolichos biflorus), Virtaru (Dichrostachys cineria), Gokshura(Tribulus terrestris), Punarnava (Boerrhavia diffusa), Dhatri (Euphorbia officinalis).
2. Powders – Hajrul yahood Bhasma, Gokshuradi churna, Pashanbhedadi churna, Eladi churna.
3. Tablets – Shiva Gutika, Chandraprabha vati, Gokshuradi guggulu, Punarnava mandoor.
4. Kshar – Apamarga Kshar, Muli Kshar.
5. Kwath – Gokshuradi kwaath, Punarnavadi kwaath.
1. Drink 4 -5 liters of water daily. This helps in flushing out of toxins by increasing the urine output.
2. Take ¼ cup of Kulathha Dal (Horse gram pluse) and boil it in 4 glasses of water. Daily intake of 1 glass of this boiled juice helps in dissolving stones and flushing out the toxins through urine.
3. Daily intake of 1 glass lemon juice helps in dissolving the kidney stones. Lemon juice contains citric acid which helps in preventing binding of Calcium or mineral particles to form stones.
4. Avoid calcium rich diet like meat, milk products, fox nuts, dry fruits, tomato, brinjal, lady finger, peas, chick pea, black gram etc.
5. Avoid tea, coffee, alcoholic beverages, carbonated drinks, oily and spicy diet.
The purpose of Ayurvidya is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider regarding your medical condition or treatment and before undertaking any new health care regimen.