There are several paranasal (surrounding the nasal) cavities called as sinuses. These include the frontal, ethmoidal, maxillary and sphenoidal sinuses.
Inflammation in these cavities is called as Sinusitis.
It can be caused due to infection, Allergies, Pollutants. Due to these factors the sinuses gets irritated which results in secretion of mucus from the inner membrane of sinus. The mucus gets logged up back and creates infection.
The course of sinusitis can be Acute, Sub-acute or Chronic.
2) Pain or heaviness in the site of affected sinus cavity which is explained specifically in detail.
(a) Maxillary Sinus – Pain or heaviness in upper cheeks area. There will be pain on pressing the cheeks through thumb or finger.
(b) Frontal sinus – Pain or heaviness above the eyes in the forehead region, Frontal Headache.
(c) Ethmoidal – Pain or heaviness or stretching like pain behind the eyes, the upper part of the nose.
(d) Sphenoidal – Dull vague headache on any part of the head which increases on changing the posture like bending or stooping forward.
(e) Nasal discharge – Which may be watery in some cases and thick, greenish in some cases.
(f) Foul odour from mouth.
(g) Unable to smell or foul odour through nose.
(h) Post nasal dripping.
In Ayurveda it can be correlated with disease “Dushta Pratishyaya”
Causes as explained by Acharyas are Exposure to Dust, fumes or cold, over exposure to heat, holding the natural urges.
The above mentioned causative factors lead to aggravation of Vata dosha which leads to alteration in its movement inside the sinus cavity. Vitiated Vata Dosha aggravates pitta and kapha dosha. Aggravated Pita leads to inflammation in the sinus lining and aggravated Kapha dosha leads to increased mucus secretion. This leads to development of sinusitis.
In case of allergic sinusitis, aggravated Pitta Dosha lead to Rakta Dushti (Blood impurities) which then irritates the Kapha Dosha situated inside the nasal mucosa, this in turn causes excessive mucus secretion leading to allergic sinusitis.
In non Allergic sinusitis, line of treatment should be Vata Shamak, after that Pitta and Kapha Shamak treatment should be given. In allergic cases Pitta and kapha shamak treatment should be given along with Rakta Shodhana. Specific treatment for Immunomodulation should also be given. Panchkarma therapy known as “Nasya” is known to be very efficient in sinusitis. It works by clearing all the blocked sinuses.
1. Avoid dust, direct cold, wind and other Factors which are allergic for the patient’s body. If not possible to avoid such conditions, then safety precaution such as face mask should be used.
2. Drink plenty of water which will help in flushing out the toxins and help in thinning of mucus.
3. Take proper rest.
4. Avoid ice creams, cold drinks and other refrigerated foods and drinks.
5. Take luke warm milk boiled with half ginger daily for effective management of sinusitis.
6. Single herbs – Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Lavanga (Syzygium aromaticum).
7. Powders – Haridra khanda, Talisyadi churna, Giloy satva, Sitopladi churna, Shringa Bhasma, Abhrak bhasma.
8. Tablets – laxmivilas rasa, Vyoshadi vati, Mahalaxmi vilas rasa, Tribhuvan kirti rasa, Anandabhairav rasa, Chitrakadi vati, Shirahshooladi vajra rasa, Kachnaar guggulu, Amritadi guggulu.
9. Kwath (Herbal decoctions) – Dashmoola Kwath, Pathyadi kwath.
1. Inhale Steam daily for 3-5 minutes. Patient can also add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil or 2- 3 drops of clove oil in the water for steam inhalation. This will help in effective clearing of blocked sinuses.
2. Daily intake of 1 glass of luke warm water with one fourth of turmeric powder helps in fighting allergic sinusitis
3. If suffering from watery discharge or mucoid nasal discharge then take 2 pinch of black pepper powder, 4 to 5 drops of ginger juice and half teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture 2 to 3 times in a day. It will help in relieving from nasal discharge, stuffiness and sneezing.
4. Inhale smoke of Tulsi seeds or cardamom seeds. It will help in clearing the nostrils.
5. In case of chronic sinusitis you can also perform JAL NETI by taking the advise from your yoga instructor.Saline water used in Neti helps in flushing of sinuses, reduces inflmmation in their lining and keep them moist. Do not practise it in acute attacks of sinusitis.
The purpose of Ayurvidya is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider regarding your medical condition or treatment and before undertaking any new health care regimen.